The Towel Over the Title
The Towel Over The Title
Text: John 13:3-17
“Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.
Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You washing my feet?” Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.” Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”
Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!” Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.” For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, “You are not all clean.”
So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.
For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.”
I. The Face Of Serving Others - King Jesus Christ.
A. Jesus came to Serve the Father.
“For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.”
In John 6 Jesus had just fed the 5000 and walked on the sea as they were travelling.
The people were asking Jesus how to do the works of God and Jesus is explaining to them...
John 6:29 NKJV
“Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”
Then the people started asking for a sign... what sign will you perform.... chasing the signs and wonders and not chasing Jesus... they referred to the manna from heaven that God sent to their forefathers but Jesus goes on to tell them...
John 6:32-33 NKJV
Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
The heart of Jesus was to serve.
1. Jesus made it clear that He had come to do the will of the Father.
2. Jesus came to serve the Heavenly father and do the Father's Will.
B. Jesus came to Serve Humanity.
Matthew 20:25 -28
“But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.
And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.””
1. Jesus said that His way is different than the World's way.
Take and consume verses
Give and give some more
2. The Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and give HIS
3. The Son of God coming to serve and Living Life Beyond Himself.
C. Jesus came to Serve His Purpose.
I John 3:8
“He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.”
1. The Bible says for this Purpose Jesus was manifested that he might destroy The works of the devil.
2. Jesus whole purpose was about serving humanity and destroying the Devil.
3. Just as Jesus purpose was fulfilled by using his gifting in service to mankind.... Your purpose will be fulfilled in using your giftings in serving others.
D. Jesus came to Grab the Towel not the Title.
“Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
1. Jesus did not grab the Title but the towel.
2. His act of serving others has given Him a Name above every name.
3. His act of Humility put Him first.
II. The Fulfillment Of Choosing The Towel Over The Title
A. Serving others actually puts me First.
“So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.”
Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.
1. Jesus put himself first by serving His disciples.
2. The Bible declares that the first will be last and the last will be first.
3. When you serve others you put others first and you last which really. Makes you first.
B. Serving others does not make Sense.
“Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.”
1. Jesus knew what He was doing was not making sense.
2. Jesus also knew that later they would understand the power of serving.
3. Most people struggle in serving because it goes against human nature.
C. Serving others is your ultimate Calling
“If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.”
1. Jesus said that we should also wash one another's feet.
2. Jesus makes the statement that our calling is to serve others.
3. Mark 8:35 NLT "If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose It. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will find true life.
4. The ultimate calling is not what I do for myself but what I invest in Others.
D. Serving others brings absolute fulfilment.
“If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.”
1. Jesus says we will be blessed if we do these things.
2. Serving and Giving creates a flow in our lives that selfish living Cannot do.
3. True fulfilment is found in serving others.
E. Serving others makes you look like Jesus.
1. The way we look like Jesus to a world is to follow and serve like Jesus.
2. Following Jesus will work itself out in loving people.
3. Matthew 22:37 - 40.
“Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
III. Action Steps
A. Get involved in a group or gathering.
B. Find a place to serve or give away your life.
C. Live to give in time, talents and finances.
IV. Accept Jesus Today
--- Romans 10:9 ---
that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.